Wednesday 18 November 2009

Google Earth


Google Earth is really cool. It's basically like a giant world map that you can zoom in and out of. The great thing is that it is not just a map, but an interactive one. Many countries have all the roads marked, and you can use it for directions. Also, Google Earth is linked with Wikipedia. This is really helpful because a lot of famous sites are marked to their Wikipedia page, so you don't need to go back to the internet. Also, many people have loaded images they have taken at different places, and have put it on the corresponding places. So you can look at the zoomed in map, and see a picture of the place. The great thing is, a lot of places have really good satellite images so you can zoom in really close and even see people on the road. Now, on Google, they have Google Maps which is basically the same thing as Google Earth without the Wikipedia links and photos. Yet on Google Maps, you can type in an address and get directions. This is a great tool for fun and for work.

6 comments:

  1. I always found it fun to go on Google Earth and find my home. It really is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often rely on Google Maps for directions around the city. The great thing about it is that it saves addresses that you type in commonly, which makes looking up directions to and from my house really simple. Another great way to use it is to get an idea of when one place is relative to another. For example, my friend lives in Brücken, Germany and I am going to be in Berlin later this year. So I went onto Google Maps and saw that it is about six hours and forty minutes between the two places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm obsessed with Google Earth....I use it to find directions all the time. And the most useful part of it? Sometimes when I need to know an exact address of a place I've only just seen (like a shopfront), I'll check Google Earth and skim down the road. Because they have the new street view option, I can actually look at the shops and pick out where exactly it is. Perfect, right?

    Although it does give so much opportunity for stalking....which can be fun at times if you're joking around with friends but also could be super creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find google earth a really useful tool to view proerties as well as get a good overview of general directions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like Google earth and find it really interesting. It is awesome to be able to find your streets and houses and zoom in to them. Google maps is a bit like this and also really useful. You can find directions, by car and by walking, time estimates, and more. You can also see street images from close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Google earth is one of the best things that google made in my opinion. It allows you to not only get directions but also to see other places in the world. And with the street level cameras that were being used you can go to places without having to leave your home. Although this will never be as good as actually going to the places it is still really cool. I really do not know why street level would allow you to stalk people. The vans only drive around a place once every month or more.

    ReplyDelete